Tuesday 18 September 2012

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, SCIENCE OR ART?


THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, SCIENCE OR ART?

This semester, I am in 5th semester in my college, because of I take an English department, so few of my subject connected with linguistic. And this semester one of linguistic subject I am going to learn is literature.
Well at the first meeting of the literature’s class, I was really excited because the lecturer is so funny ha-ha and it made the atmosphere of literature class became fun. Well, as usual in my first meeting class, there would be no discussion, just gave some introduction to the material we are going to learn and some project we have to do onward.
Well, my lecturer said that for this class, he wouldn’t give a book for the student (in Indonesia it’s a common thing that a lecturer or a teacher gives a book that a student has to have) and it means that we have to look for the book by ourselves.
Finally, in the following day, I came to the library of my faculty for the book. And there are provided so many book about literature (not too many actually) and I choose one. The grey-cover book whose title is English literature and written by ANTHONY BURGESS got my attention. Bringing it to the librarian, I opened some of the pages and I found the interesting part in the beginning of the chapter.

The interesting part is talking about Science vs. Art.

Well there is said in the book that science and art is two different things. Science is mostly talking about the truth of a thing. They talking about why the earth is round, how the earth rounds and everything else connected to the truth while Art is talking about the beautiful, it talks about the beauty of earth, it doesn’t talk why the earth is round but it talks about the color and the test of the earth, something that beautiful, something that only can be tasted by and open-minded and openhearted person.

Next, there is explanation on the book, that both the science and art is important. There is no one that more special. It is just like a brain and a heart. If a person only use a brain and he doesn’t use his heart (feeling) to see the world he will be an arrogant person, and vice versa if one only use his heart (feeling) without using his brain, he will be a melancholy person.
Feeling interesting to discuss it with my friend, I ask a question to my friend in the class, I asked about which one important between science and art is. And he directly answered my question, art, because I didn’t like study because I love music, so art is the most important.  And I tried to explain about what I read on the book but he insisted. Well my friend it is I who have a mistake or he the one who don’t know that we can’t live without science and art.


No comments:

Post a Comment